Saturday, July 4, 2009

Good Old Fashioned Home Security

These days, when people think of home security they think of Bush, the war in Iraq, and "homeland security". I'm also one of those people, however, when I say "home security" I'm thinking more about the place I call home, the place where I lay my head down, the place I'll do anything and everything to protect. I'm not going to lie, I've done alot of research on the various methods and ways you can protect your prize possessions. All of which seem to be really good ideas, some pricey, some not-so-much, but still some good methods.

Outdoor lighting seems to be a favorite amongst my fellow Americans. Home security systems are also popular. My days of being a pain-in-the-arse are long gone. Walking up to peoples doors, whether to toss a few eggs, or see what's on the side of their garage is just not at the top of my daily priority list. Maybe it's because I too am a home owner these days, or maybe it's because I simply have no interest. Either way, those days are behind me. I've found that motion detectors work great for me and my comfort levels. Alarm systems seem to calm my fears too. But I'm also a stickler for good old fashioned security methods such as sticks in the doors and windows and extra deadbolts to help ease my fears.

And the funny thing is, I'm not so afraid (which I probably should be) of the real intruders, out to do me as a person harm while fumbling through my belongings. I'm more afraid of the intruders who are only after my things, and I just happen to be home, they panic and all hell breaks loose. You never know what people are capable of when their scared. Maybe I watch too many cold case files shows on A&E, maybe I dont watch enough. All I know is I want to give an intruder every opportunity to turn back before they enter my home.

Neighborhood watches are another great way to secure your home, plus your neighbors homes and the neighborhood. When one person on the block is intruded upon, it seems to break that "safety net" that's casted throughout. Having everyone on the same page is a bonus. Neighbors sleep at all different times of the day and night. Some are up until 4am on the norm, while others are getting up at 4am on the norm. Some smoke their cigarettes outside (me) and just sit and watch at what's going on. Back when I was living in an apartment, I was up for some reason at 3am, outside, smoking my cigarette, when all of a sudden I see this kid walking up to each balcony peeking over the wall to see what was available for the taking. After the 2nd one, I let out a short but worthy whistle. He didnt see me sitting in the shadows. Startled, he looked over his shoulder a couple times then proceeded back to being a looky-loo. I whistled again, this time using a louder and "hello i see you" tone. He stopped, carefully made his way out of the bushes and left, out of sight. The next day I informed each neighbor of what I had saw. What they did after that is not known. But I felt better that I conducted my own "neighborhood watch" and hoped they would do the same if needed. False sense of security on my part? Not really. At least I dont think so. People seem to find it easier to look out for one another, especially when they know theyre being looked after. Good old fashioned home security. Didnt cost me anything but a cigarette I had already purchased in bulk. That's what I'm talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment